Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Financial Aspect of IF

So, its evident that there is an extreme emotional aspect to infertility but there are also financial aspects to it too.

I am lucky to have health insurance through my husbands work but unfortunately his insurance has cut any infertility coverage. So anything past the diagnostic state is not covered. Thankfully I have had everything covered for me up until now, but now that I have been "diagnosed" there is no further "treatment" that will be covered by bcbs.

But to give you an idea of what has been spent in just this year I've prepared some numbers. And yes, all of this has been paid or is due to be paid to a doctor.

Money spent on.........

Pregnancy tests and Ovulation Kits = 383.39

Doctors Consults = 89.66

Blood work and Ultrasounds = 330.31

Hysteroscopy = 81.85

Laparoscopy = 2575.49

 

So that's 3460.70 total spent on tests and procedures to try and get pregnant. This number would have been higher but I hit my out of pocket maximum limit for this year with insurance so thankfully it covered most of my laparoscopy (even though I still owe $2500+).

This number is small in comparison to what some people pay out of pocket. IVF is the most expensive procedure (tens of thousands of dollars), making it the last ditch effort for an IF couple and it is not covered by most insurance companies and only a few states have a law requiring insurance companies to provide infertility coverage.

I could go onto a soapbox here and start rambling on how I believe that all insurance should have to have IF coverage since its an involuntary condition but I'll save you from reading that.....tonight.

bcc24d7d1fb98ef2315112d237e48f8c

No comments:

Post a Comment