Friday, June 28, 2013

Day 2/3 Blood Work and Ultrasound and some Not Good Results

So, because this month is a potential iui month I have to go to the RE's office on certain days to have my follicles (potential eggs on ovaries) checked and have some blood drawn to check where my hormones are at.

If you follow me on FB or IG chances are you saw my pic from this morning of the lovely RE's office. I was the first appt at 7am. WooHoo. Not.

The nurse came in and we chatted about how I hadn't been there in a while. I told her that I was sure we could do this on our own but after so many months we are back. And now we have iui coverage so its even better. I told her that we only have 6 tries to get this, IN OUR LIFE TIME (yes, insurance only covers 6 LIFE TIME iui's) so I didn't want to play around or waste any time. She said she may put me on clomid to help our chances but we would check everything out first.

The ultrasound went as great as it always does...which is not great at all. My ovaries are in the WORST spots and I swear I almost black out while she is trying to find them bc it hurts so bad. But, alas, she found them and measured some follicles on each.

She then went to my old chart from the first month I was there and started reviewing my blood work. She mentioned that my initial workup, called a baseline, was pretty high and if today's numbers came back high then we wouldn't do the clomid but she would call me and let me know.

So out of the office I went with my pretty new Rx for Clomid, picked up my mom and went to Target. I needed a couple things for vacation tomorrow and shopped while they filled my prescription.

Later on I received a call from the nurse at the doc office. She said she got my results back and we are going to go ahead with the clomid but she wanted to discuss my blood results with me. She said that my FSH is high this month at 18.

"FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) is often used as a gauge of ovarian reserve. In general, under 6 is excellent, 6-9 is good, 9-10 fair, 10-13 diminished reserve, 13+ very hard to stimulate."

In December my FSH was 5. Six months later is up to 18.

Also, my E2 (Estradiol) was 82.

E2 levels should be between 25-75 on day 3 (I am only on day 2 today). "Levels on the lower end tend to be better for stimulating. Abnormally high levels on day 3 may indicate existence of a functional cyst or diminished ovarian reserve." So knowing that I am above what they should be by day 3 and I'm only on day 2 annnnnd having my FSH levels up pretty much means my hormones and body sucko mucho right now.

More info about those hormones and levels can be found here and here because I'm sure to most of you this is like speaking German.

So anyway, with this knowledge I basically am unsure if I will make an egg of any quality this month which means the iui is potentially off. I have an appt for a follow up ultrasound and blood work the Monday I get back from vacation to check on things and I am HOPING that the clomid helps stimulate a good quality egg or two.

I am really hoping and praying this is a fluke month and I do not have a diminished ovarian reserve at 28 years old.

17487_10101090219119054_1983601640_n

ed2a00650aa6bab9341c0bb8e7c407e0

And on that note I'm off to the beach. I can almost hear the waves crashing in my ear and feel the ocean spray on my face. Ahhhhhh

No comments:

Post a Comment