Sunday, April 13, 2014
8 out of 9 is mighty fine!
So as most of you saw, I got a portal message from the embryologist early this morning. Of the 9 eggs they retrieved, 8 were mature and they were able to fertilize all 8 eggs. That is insane!! I am so happy about these numbers I can't even begin to explain. My next report will be on Tuesday and we will be updated then on how many of those 8 are still growing.
I've been getting a lot of questions regarding whats next and instead of answering them in 3984324 different places I thought I'd answer some here.
What happens now that the eggs are retrieved?
They were fertilized and they are now resting comfortably in an incubator at 98.6 degrees. The staff at RAD will continue to watch and monitor the growth and development of the embryos over the next 5 days.
Will all 8 make it to day 5?
Probably not. Statistically it is unlikely, though it does happen. Embryos could stop developing along the way or never make it to the blastocyst stage.
Blastocyst stage?
This is the stage an egg should be at approx 5 days after retrieval. So, as we know an egg divides and divides and divides, etc. We want our eggs to divide until they become blastocysts as this stage is the best at having a healthy pregnancy as the outcome. My office will also continue to watch the eggs through days 5, 6 and 7 to see how many make it to the blastocyst stage.
How many will you transfer?
RADs goal is to transfer 1 day-5 blastocyst. If they believe my embryo is good enough to just transfer one I will be taking them up on their recommendation. They have their own grading system and each embryo will be graded. This grading system will help them determine how many embryos would be best for us to transfer.
Will you freeze the rest?
*IF* we have any left to freeze then we will absolutely freeze them. To qualify to be frozen they must be at the blastocyst stage so we are unsure if we will have any left to freeze until we see how they are growing. We will freeze the embryos until 1-we know we are carrying a healthy pregnancy and 2- we are sure we are done building our family. The cost for freezing is $650 (even less than I originally thought) and that covers 1 year of freezing. I'd much rather pay a couple years of freezing than thousands for ivf again.
Fresh vs frozen transfer?
Fresh transfer is when they transfer the egg the cycle it is retrieved. A frozen transfer is when they thaw a frozen embryo and prepare your body for a frozen transfer cycle then transfer it.
What will we be doing?
Remember that fluid I wrote about last week in my uterine lining? Well the docs aren't sure if they want to continue with a fresh transfer with this fluid as it can impede implantation. I will go in on Wednesday for an ultrasound with Dr B to assess the fluid situation. As of my last look, the fluid in my lining was gone but the patch in my uterus was still there. If all things looks good fluid wise, we will be doing a fresh transfer Thursday afternoon.
What cheeks were the anesthesiologist rubbing during the procedure?
My face cheeks people. Geez...lol
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment